It is easy to get confused when it comes to purchasing a metal detector. There are many different types and brands of metal detectors on the market. Many of you may have wondered or even asked, what is the best and top-selling products for metal detectors? I ultimately ended up using Fisher metal detectors after using a couple beginner cheap brands that didn’t have any functions or easy ways to identify objects. Why do I use this brand in particular do you ask? I will only use this brand going forward because they are simple to learn and are very accurate while searching for coins or relics.
In this article I will give you a breakdown of the reasons why and comparisons to explain why I think Fisher is a better brand from its competitors and go into details about the functionality and features of different Fisher machines that are on the market today. I wanted to create a list here so everyone can get the information they need to research it further.
The History and Background of Fisher
Like many great successful businesses today, Fisher started their business in his garage, making the first metal detector right here in the United States of America. Fisher Research Laboratory was started by Dr. Gerhard R. Fisher back in 1931. He was a well-known engineer and inventor that was very respected in his community. Dr. Fisher was the first to patent the metal detector making Fisher is the oldest metal detecting company in the world. Fisher is still using current technology to build trusted metal detectors and accessories. This could be the reason why the Best Fisher Labs Research Metal Detectors may be a top-seller in my opinion. Some might say Garrett or Bounty Hunter, but I will give you my reasons to help prove my case.
What does Fisher Metal Detectors Offer for Warranty because it could be a big selling point when making purchases. I have never had any issues or problems with my machines resulting in not having to send it back for repairs or replacements, but it’s well known from customers feedback you can find on the web, that Fisher has a great warranty program and they have a fantastic staff to help you troubleshoot your product(s) and/or help you get it fixed or replaced. Their warranty can go up to 3 to 5 years on some of their metal detectors.
The one thing that I can say about people I’ve meet while out in the field is they really like their Fisher brands metal detectors and accessories. I strongly feel that Fisher makes the best metal detectors and accessories on the market. In fact, a big portion of other people I see metal detecting in the areas I go come up to me and ask what type of machine I use. I have had responses back saying that own a Fisher detector as well, and love it..
Fisher Metal Detectors on the Market
Currently Fisher has these three detectors that they sell. They have the F11, F22 and F44. So, what are the metal detectors comparisons?
The Fisher F11 is quality-built and easy to operate, the F11 is dependable- yet affordable. The simple interface is perfect for beginners (both young and old). Large, easy-to-read target ID gives the probable identification of the target detected as well as depth.
Fisher F22: The Fisher F22 is weatherproof, which means you can use it in inclement (rainy) weather. It is a step up- in that it features 4 modes of operation and a larger elliptical search coil. The “Custom Mode” features programmable tones.
The F44 is an easy-to-use manual ground balance detector. It has superfast retuned speed with excellent target separation and easy to use Discrimination, Sensitivity, Notch, and Pinpoint features. Ground-grab. Computerized ground balancing and manual ground balance make it easy to tune the Fisher F44 to the soil you are hunting in. Easily identify buried targets. Custom mode allows users to set their own tones. Below is the range of how to identify an object that you scan.
The Fisher “F” Series is ideal for beginners—especially those who want a turn-on-and-go detector. A unique weatherproof design on 2 of the models make them usable in wet weather. Fisher “F” Series detectors are very lightweight, with an intuitive and accurate Target ID— which makes them easy to get to know and use.
Fisher F44: Fisher F44 is the top model in the Fisher Series- it includes a back-lit display screen for hunting in low-light conditions. The larger 11” search coil will you help find more targets. F44 is also weatherproof and offers even more advanced features, such as Fe-Tone Adjustable Audio.
I use the F44 and love to hunt around old barns like the pictures below. The items I have found have been amazing and unique that hold a long story behind each item. Again, the consistency and way this machine operates makes detecting fun. You’re not wasting time finding nails or metal unwanted junk because of the filters this machine brings.
I hunted around this old bard dated the early 1900s and found some great finds. The details in the hinges are amazing and unique. They really don’t make hardware with so much character and detail as they used to.
I also found these other items as well around the perimeter. This is an old Canister shot musket ball that’s dated from the 18th and 19th century. A Canister shot is a kind of anti-personnel artillery ammunition. Canister shot has been used since the advent of gunpowder-firing artillery in Western armies. However, canister shot saw particularly frequent use on land and at sea in the various wars of the 18th and 19th century. Canister is still used today in modern artillery.
What the Fisher F11, F22 and F44 All Have in CommoN
- Turn On and Go! All Fisher “F” Series models are VERY easy for beginners – they are all preset for normal ground conditions
- 9 Segment Visual Target ID: Visual target ID segments show you every metal from iron, gold, nickel, brass, gold, zinc, copper to silver
- Ultra-Lightweight: At 2.3 lbs., these models are among the most lightweight. Perfect for kids and seniors who don’t want a heavy detector
- Waterproof Search Coil: This means you can submerse the search coil (only) into water. BUT the unit is NOT waterproof
- 4-Tone Audio ID Mode: This feature provides 1 of 4 sounds: Iron, Gold, Silver or Nails/Steel (very low tone)
- Pinpoint Mode: After you have identified a target, press and hold the pinpoint button and re-scan your target
- Recommended For: Beach, Coins, Jewelry and Relics
- Bonus Items: 5 Free Bonus Items from MetalDetector.com. Includes Pro Series Trowel, magnifying glass, gloves and more!
What is Unique to the Fisher F11?
- Price: THIS is among the MOST affordable, yet advanced detector available today! Get advanced features in a long-lasting model. The Fisher F11 is a recently released detector for beginners
- 5-Star Reviews: Users say you will learn by sounds and the easy-to-read display
- Search Coil: 8” Concentric Search Coil for coins, jewelry and relics
- Frequency: 7.69 kHz frequency
- 3 Search Modes: Three easy to use search modes: Jewelry, Coins and Artifacts
- 6 Levels of Adjustable Sensitivity and Volume: Not too complicated for beginners
What is Different About the Fisher F22
- Target ID VDI: This is among the BEST features of this detector! Numbers are extremely accurate! Numbers 1-99 will tell you if you have located iron, foil, U.S. nickels, gold, zinc coins, copper, and silver
- Search Coil: 9” Concentric coil for finding all common metal targets
- Weatherproof: A unique feature for entry-level models, use the F22 in inclement (rainy) weather
- 4 Search Modes: Includes: Jewelry, Coin, Artifact and Custom. Custom mode allows you to select a tone for your desired category
- Notch Mode: This allows you to accept or reject different types of metal within each target category group
- 5-Star Reviews: Great for parks and trashy areas
What Sets the Fisher F44 Apart:
- Search Coil: 11″ Concentric search coil. An upgrade for more and larger targets
- Target ID VDI: An exceptional feature on this detector! Numbers are extremely accurate! Numbers 1-99 will tell you if you have located iron, foil, U.S. nickels, gold, zinc coins, copper, and silver
- Fe Tone Adjustable Iron Audio™: Discriminate iron targets and alter your mid-tone signal range to cancel out trash targets
- Weatherproof: A unique feature for entry-level models, use the F44 in inclement (rainy) weather
- Manual Ground Balance: Available for more advanced users
- Ground Grab Computerized Ground Balancing: Advanced auto ground balancing in all ground conditions
- 5 Search Modes: Five search modes (Jewelry, Coins, Artifacts, Custom, All Metal)
- 20 Levels of Adjustable Sensitivity and Volume: Users can grow into this detector without upgrading with advanced settings
So, in conclusion to this article, I hope the information I’ve listed is useful and helps you determine if this is the right brand for you. As I’ve stated, these are just my own personal opinions regarding on why I think this is the best brand to have. Others might disagree but if you further your research you will determine that Fisher has a high and above par reputation, and overall satisfactory level with customers. I’ve been amazed on how many items I’ve found over the years using this brand. Best of luck and happy hunting.