There’s certainly no shortage of water filters out there, and no matter what you prefer – big, small, inline, a separate reservoir – there is one that suits your needs. But it looks like LifeStraw keeps on creating, and now they’ve given us the LifeStraw Universal, which works by fitting onto your favorite water bottle and filtering water straight out of there. It is, according to LifeStraw, the first universal water bottle adapter of its kind, and includes two different size caps – medium and wide – to fit on a whole variety of different water bottles, including most of the perennial favorites – Nalgene, Camelbak, Klean Kanteen, Hydro Flask.
Inside, is a long water filter that works almost like a straw, but contains a two-stage filter; the first stage is an advanced hollow fiber membrane that filters down to .02 microns, effectively removing 99.999% of waterborne bacteria and protozoa. The second stage features a replaceable activated carbon capsule, which improves taste by reducing chlorine – and other harmful chemicals and organic matter, such as pesticides. The first stage can last for up to 264 gallons, while the second can last up to 26. These filters exceeds NSF42 standards for chlorine removal and meets US EPA drinking water standards, and the whole thing is made of recyclable materials.
No longer will you have to carry a completley separate water bottle or filter everywhere with you; the LifeStraw Universal makes it easy to get clean, filter water anywhere, whether that’s in the backcountry or running around the city (where water can sometimes be pretty nasty, anyway).
LifeStraw Universal Features
- Includes two cap sizes (standard and wide), two mouthpieces (standard and sport), one 2-stage filter, and carry bag
- Compatible with most models of: Nalgene, Camelbak, Klean Kanteen, Hydro Flask, Under Armour, Gatorade, and other standard bottles
- Will also fit additional bottles with a compatible mouth diameter, threading, and minimum bottle height of 7.3”
- Removes at least 99.999% of waterborne bacteria and protozoa
- Hollow Fiber Membrane – Filters (264 gallons)
- Replaceable carbon capsule reduces chlorine, bad taste and odor, as well as organic chemical matter like pesticides, herbicides, and VOCs
- Carbon capsule lasts 25 gallons)
- Exceeds NSF42 standards for chlorine removal and meets US EPA drinking water standards
- Made of recyclable materials