What’s so cool about the Kindle Oasis? Sure, it’s the most expensive e-reader you’re going to find, but it’s also the lightest (20% so), thinnest (30% so), and most durable one you’ll ever see. It’s also got the longest-lasting battery life, with it’s dual-battery system offering up to 8 weeks of battery life on a single charge.
Yup, 8 weeks – provided you only read about 30 minutes a day, but still. This is thanks to the secondary battery Amazon built into the Oasis’s exterior cover, which comes in 3 attractive, premium leather options – walnut, merlot and black. The 6″ display has a 300 PPI resoluteness, and the redesigned LED light is 60% brighter than before. Best of all, it’s completely front-lit, which means it a) doesn’t hurt your eyes, and b) reduces glare considerably – this might just be the single most, comfortable, easy-to-read Kindle yet.
Amazon also introduced a new tapered design, with an ergonomic handgrip that allows the center of gravity to rest in your palm – similar to reading a book. There’s also dedicated page-turn buttons on the front of the grip, giving you another way to turn the pages besides swiping back and forth on the touch screen.
There’s also Kindle cool X-ray feature, which lets you see all the passages across a book that mention relevant ideas, fictional characters, historical figures, or other noteworthy items. The X-Ray timeline view flips through notable passages, Smart Lookup integrates the Oxford American Dictionary and Wikipedia, and Time to Read actually keeps track of your reading speed, giving you personalized, up-to-date estimations of how much you have left. There is even the option to instantly translate passages using Bing Translator.
The Oasis also comes with Wifi, and some models even have 3g built-in. This makes it the single most featured Kindle Amazon has made yet, and if you’re looking for a top-of-the-line, premium e-reader, the Oasis fits the bill.
Other Cool Features of the Kindle Oasis
- Prime members read free with unlimited access to over a thousand titles. No more separate membership fees for Kindle books if you are a Prime member.
- The page-turn feature is much improved. Comfortably turn the page with either the touch display or dedicated page turn buttons located on the front of the handgrip. Whether you choose to read with your left or right hand, Kindle Oasis automatically rotates the page orientation to match.
- The handgrip tapers to an ultrathin 0.13” display so you can read comfortably for hours.
- Weight: Without cover Wi-Fi: 4.6 oz (131 g) Wi-Fi + Free 3G: 4.7 oz (133 g)
- Size: 5.6″ x 4.8″ x 0.13-0.33″ (143 x 122 x 3.4-8.5 mm)